TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - That is a dangerous question to ask.
People Seeking Info

Subject That is a dangerous question to ask.

Posted by Ashman2k2 on June 21, 2010 at 1:35 AM
  This message has been viewed 502 times.

In Reply To What weight engine oil? posted by Ash's Z on June 20, 2010 at 04:45 PM

Message What are your oil temperatures like? How often do you change the oil?

I am not sure how M1 10w30 holds up against shearing down in grade. It would be a good idea to get a few samples tested to find out.

The idea of a heavier weight oil offering more bearing protection in an engine has never been proven to me.
What I typically see is people using higher viscosity oil to account for high oil temperatures....sort of like running a high pressure radiator cap, when they could just lower the temps to begin with by optimizing the cooling system.

Assuming oil temperatures are at optimum levels where 10w30 or heavier offer enough oil film in bearings..does the increased film strength of the heavier weight oil even stand a chance against the pressure from a power stroke?

Most people here pour in a heavier oil, they see the pressure go up on the gauge and think they improved the lubrication system. But really, the increased pressure is due to the increased resistance of the fluid to flow through the oil galleys, and therefore the flowrate is reduced. And of course we want the oil pump to make oil flow to in between the bearing and journal to replace the oil that is continuously squeezed out.

Perhaps if an engine lubrication system was designed around the spec of a 20w50, where oil galley size were increased, and oil pump design optimized, so that flow to bearings would equal that of the 10w30 in the stock engine..the bearings would see better protection.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.